The Benefits of Choosing a Specialist
What is a periodontist? A periodontist is a doctor with specialty training in the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of diseases affecting the gums, jawbone, and other tissues that support the teeth. Often, periodontists provide dental implants. Dr. Bruce Gopin is a certified periodontist in El Paso, TX, with more than 20 years of experience treating patients with gentle, advanced care. If you are suffering from gum disease, a lost tooth, or other issues affecting the foundation of your smile, trusting your care to a specialist is one of the surest ways to restore your oral health.
What Is the Difference between a Periodontist and a Dentist?
To receive certification as a periodontist, a dentist must undergo three years of training beyond their four years of dental school. These training opportunities are extremely competitive, and are typically only available to those who performed well beyond the minimum requirements for completion of their doctorate.
Because of their focus on foundational tissues, periodontists are often the best choice for those in need of:
- Scaling and Root Planing: This process of removing plaque, tartar, and bacteria from below the gumline also involves smoothing the surface of the tooth roots to prevent buildup.
- Surgical pocket reduction: Without timely treatment, periodontal disease will eventually result in deep pockets that develop between the gum tissue and the teeth. A periodontist can surgically reduce these pockets to prevent decay, tooth loss, and other issues.
- Bone grafting: Tooth loss and periodontal disease can eventually cause the jawbone to atrophy, or shrink. A periodontist can restore the jaw with a bone graft, setting the stage for successful rehabilitation with dental implants.
- Dental implant surgery: Dental implants replace lost tooth roots, providing the best support for restorations and preventing jaw atrophy. Periodontists are uniquely qualified to provide successful smile restoration using implants.
- Crown lengthening: Excess gum tissue can affect the appearance of your smile and increase your risk of developing periodontal disease. A periodontist can remove excess tissue in a way that benefits both health and aesthetics.
- Gum grafting: If you have suffered advanced gum disease, the gums may have begun to recede, exposing the tooth roots. A periodontist can graft tissue to restore your gumline and protect the health of your teeth.
If you are suffering with gum disease, a lost tooth, or other issues affecting the foundation of your smile, trusting your care to a periodontist is one of the surest ways to restore the health of your smile.
Why Choose Dr. Gopin for Your Periodontal Care?
Dr. Gopin has been focused on periodontics for over two decades. With 3-D imaging, he can gather images of your jawbone and tooth roots to make accurate diagnoses and plan dental implants placement with exceptional precision. When necessary, the DentalVibe® tool enables Dr. Gopin and his team to administer local anesthesia with virtually no discomfort.
Meanwhile, Dr. Gopin is a periodontist whom patients appreciate and trust. He is respectful of his patients' schedules and takes care to make his treatment affordable by working with many insurance providers and offering convenient financing options.
Schedule an Appointment Today
Your jaw and the soft tissues of your smile are crucial to your oral health. If you are experiencing health issues affecting the foundation of your smile, trust your care to a periodontist. Contact our office online to schedule an appointment or call us at (915) 533-4608.